Frequently Asked Questions

We have, over the years, noticed that there are certain questions which we are asked regularly. We have put together a selection of FAQs – divided into two sections, FAQs for Dangerous Goods and FAQs for Security – and hope that you find them useful. Please contact us if you have any questions you think might be usefully added to these lists.

For a free intoductory guide to ‘The Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, Sea & Road’ please call 01293 536943 or email sales@trainingteam.co.uk.

Dangerous Goods

  • Q – What modes of transport are covered by legislation for the carriage of dangerous goods?

    A – Air, Road, Sea, Rail and Inland Waterways – are all covered by different requirements. We can tell you exactly what the Law says regarding the shipment of Dangerous items and the training required.

  • Q - How do I know if the goods we ship are dangerous?

    A – If you or your staff don’t already know then you must seek advice or attend an appropriate training course.

    Ignorance of the regulations features in 80% of Dangerous Goods incidents and heavy fines are regularly imposed by the courts.

    Some items are more obvious than others! Explosives, and radioactive materials, for example are fairly obvious. But how do you know, for example, whether or not a particular liquid is classed as corrosive? Many everyday items are classed as dangerous. Even though once the items are properly classified, packed, and documented, as required in law, they are no longer dangerous, they are still classified as ‘Dangerous Goods’.

  • Q - How can I find out what training we need?

    A – Call Training Team 01293 536943. Just tell us what operations your business performs and we can usually give you an answer straightaway. You can also ask TrainingTeam for one of our experts to visit your business to assess your responsibilities regarding dangerous goods.

  • Q - Does everyone in the company have to be trained?

    A – No, unless they are involved in the packing, preparation, storing, documentation, and transport of any item classed as ‘dangerous for carriage’.

  • Q - So who needs to be trained?

    A – If staff are preparing, packing, transporting, or documenting goods then they will require training suited to the job they do. This may be in-depth training (like the three day scheduled Dangerous Goods by Air course), or perhaps shorter courses on specific aspects of dangerous goods handling. The regulations specify that training must be appropriate to the responsibility and duties of the staff. Call us to discuss your particular requirements.

  • Q - We have a policy that we do not handle Dangerous Goods, does that mean we are exempt from the training regulations?

    A – No. Certain staff that accept or handle goods may be required to receive general awareness training. For example, they may need to identify items that cannot be handled by your organisation. There is also a legal requirement for staff in this category to receive training.

  • Q - We send all our Dangerous Goods to a shipping company, who then send them on, do we still need to be trained?

    A – Yes – you still have to give them information, perhaps a Safety Data Sheet, or someone in your organisation may have to classify the items. Do you pack the goods? If you produce goods that are sent by air, road, or sea you are required to be trained in at least the basic legislation and you may require more detailed training to meet your legal obligations.

  • Q - Is it possible to have a course specific to only one class of dangerous goods as this is all we ship?

    A – Yes. We often tailor courses for specific classes or UN numbers. For a ‘by air’ course it may then be possible to cover the usual 3 days in 2, with a further one or two days to cover road and sea. But of course the certificates you receive at the end of the training will only be valid for this one class or UN number. Remember, if you ship other classes in the future, you will need further training.

  • Q – Why is Dangerous Goods by Air training often called ‘IATA’ training?

    When international Dangerous Goods legislation was first agreed under ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation, a department of the UN) it was left to the airline industry to produce the working documents. IATA (International Air Transport Association, the airline trade association) developed the IATA Dangerous Goods Manual. However ICAO subsequently produced the ICAO Technical Instructions (TIs) for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Air, and this is the legal document on which each country’s DG Legislation is based. In the UK the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) is responsible for DG Air legislation and control and the ICAO Technical Instructions is the legal document. Any reference by the CAA, including prosecutions, will be based on the TIs. However the IATA manual remains the recognised ‘working document’ for the industry. It is a requirement that all staff involved in the shipment of dangerous goods are trained to a level appropriate to their involvement by attending an approved course. All Dangerous Goods courses offered by Training Team are approved by the CAA, The CAA as the approving body set the examination and issue the certificates. Certificates issued by the CAA are the only ones recognised in the UK.

  • Q - If I fail to validate within two years of previous training, do I have to attend a full three day course again?

    A – No, but it would be sensible to refresh by way of a full course if you have not maintained frequent and varied contact with the Regulations since last receiving training.

  • Q - Is the airline correct in rejecting my consignment simply because I have omitted commas/full stops in my spelling of the proper shipping name?

    A – No, unless their omission compromises safety.

    (Similar response if the name has been written completely in upper case or if the units of measurement are in any way different in style to the basic “kg” or “L” abbreviations used in the Blue Pages.)

  • Q - I do not have the full details of the product which I wish to ship by air. Is it OK if I use a name which I think is correct and use the most dangerous option which is available to prepare it for shipment?

    A – While the Regulations do make provision for occasions which are not specifically listed in the Regulations, they still require the shipper to classify their product accurately. There is also a basic responsibility placed upon the shipper to ensure that those who are preparing the consignment have the necessary information to do the job properly (e.g. an accurate MSDS, current edition of the Regulations). The safe philosophy is that if you don’t have the necessary information, you are unable to make an accurate judgment. Never guess. There are commercial consultant chemists who would, for a fee, be able to resolve any areas of uncertainty.

Air Cargo Security

  • Q - Is training a legal requirement?

    A – Yes. UK and EU Legislation stipulates that anyone involved with the shipping of identifiable secure air cargo must receive a level of training appropriate to their job function.

  • Q – Can anyone attend an air cargo security course?

    A – No. There are very specific criteria set by the EU for anyone wishing to attend such a course. This includes a specific work history check which can only be completed by an employer or suitable sponsor.

  • Q – What are the current levels of air cargo security training?

    A – The levels are : Cargo Aviation Security Principles (CASP) – Cargo Aircraft Protection (CAP) – Cargo Operative (CO) – Cargo Operative Screening (COS) – Cargo Supervisor (CS) & Cargo Manager (CM). The employer must decide which level is appropriate to the job function based on the level of involvement and responsibility. Details of these levels can be found on the Air Cargo Security page of this website. Known Consignor training remains the same, with levels 1-7 & 1-8.

  • Q – What level of training does a driver now require?

    A – Drivers from a regulated cargo agent require training at Level CASP to be able to carry secure air cargo on their vehicle. Or CO to be able to drive and handle secure cargo. Drivers from a known consignor can be trained under the known consignor syllabus (specifically module 4).

  • Q I have a Level (A-G) Certificate, do I have to retake my training course.

    A – All A-G Certificates will remain valid up until the expiry date on the certificate. Only then will it be necessary to attend a refresher / conversion course to the new syllabus. In reality the basic security regime principles remain unchanged. The new syllabus is more focused on what people need to know, rather than what might be nice to know

  • Q – What is the NASP?

    A – NASP is the National Aviation Security Programme. Once a single document published by the Department for Transport. However, these days it comprises a number of separate documents, some EU and some UK. Most of which are only available to approved organisations within aviation. It alone forms the only true reference point for all aspects of aviation security.

  • Q – Can I view any of the EU documents outlining European aviation security requirements?

    A – Yes. The main source document can be found on-line with free public access (in English). Look for … Regulation (EU) No 2015/1998

  • Q – Are my security qualifications valid if I change my job?

    A – YES. Your certificate is, in fact, your property and as such follows you to any new job until such time as it expires.

  • Q – Is refresher or revalidation training mandatory?

    A – YES. All levels of air cargo training now require refresher training every 2 years. With the possible exception of the Cargo Manager who can be valid for 3 years subject to their involvement in the day to day handling of secure air cargo shipments at their site.

  • Q – Can Training Team help with the training of a Known Consignor’s staff?

    A – YES. Known Consignor staff must now be trained under the Known Consignor syllabus Modules 1 – 8. Only with specific permission from the DfT/CAA can a Known Consignor be trained using the CASP to CM levels. Training Team is approved to provide all such training.

  • Q –Do staff who handle cargo airside require GSAT (General Security Awareness Training)?

    A – Possibly. GSAT is a requirement for all staff who have an airside access pass. However, those cargo staff who have received Air Cargo Security training (Level A-G) are exempt as they have already received equivalent training.